Ghee is made from the best quality, local, organic, unsalted butter you can find! The reason for making ghee or clarified butter, is to take the water, milk solids and fats out of the butter which leaves a simply delicious nutty flavored, beautiful golden colored nectar that is full of a whole list of healing benefits.
- In Ayurveda, its considered to be the best carrier that drives the remedy deep into the dhatus (tissues).
- It’s tri-doshic, meaning it's great for everyone!
- It's got a sweet rasa (taste) and a cooling vipaka (after taste)
- Ghee has the quality of mrdu (softness), reducing the rough, dry qualities to our skin and it is said to make the voice melodious!
- It's qualities are Oily, Liquid, Smooth, Light + Subtle.
- It builds ones aura, making us luminous and bright!
- It increases ojas (subtle energy), which provides our vitality and vigor!
- The ancients said it increases intelligence, refining the intellect and improving memory.
- It causes secretions in the dhatus (tissues) that dissolve ama wastes, allowing them to be carried away to the intestinal tract and then expelled, thus aiding the detoxification process.
- It's known as a substance that increases longevity because it reduces the dry, rough qualities of Vata dosha, which promote aging.
- It is smooth, softening, lubricating and nurturing and great protection for the skin! It can replace your lotion!
- It facilitates recovery from wounds, rashes, burns, bed sores, and bruises
- It strengthens the teeth and bones and help heal breaks.
- When a person has a chronic peptic ulcer or gastritis, ghee is used to heal that ulcer inside the intestinal tract!
- It's used Ayurvedic Panchakarma (the 5 actions of detoxification treatments).
- It kindles one's agni (digestive fire), stimulating the digestive process, because it's packed with Butyrate, reducing inflammation and creating an alkaline environment.
- Increases the overall energy, strength, luster and beauty of the sarira (body).
- It's loaded with fat-soluble vitamins, making it easy for us to absorb vitamins A, D, E and K!
- It's Lactose and Casein free, makes it easy to digest.
- It got high amount of CLA conjugated linolenic acid (the good cholesterol) which may promote weight loss, reduce tumors, lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol.
- It relaxes and soothes the nervous system.
- Has a high smoke point, making it excellent for sauteing.
1 pound organic, unsalted butter (2 pounds of butter will fill a quart jar with ghee.)
Put the butter in a heavy, medium-sized pan, copper is, of course, best.
Heat on medium until the butter melts.
Turn down the heat until the butter just boils and continue to cook at this heat.
Do not cover the pot. The butter will foam and sputter while it cooks.
Whitish curds will begin to form on the bottom of the pot.
Keep a close watch on the ghee, as it can easily burn.
The butter will begin to smell like popcorn after a while and turn a lovely golden color.
After it becomes a clear, golden color, take a clean, dry spoon to remove the foam on top to see if the ghee is clear all the way through to the bottom.
When it is clear and has stopped sputtering and making noise, remove from heat.
Skim all the foam off the top layer.
Let it cool until just warm.
Pour it through a fine sieve or layers of cheesecloth into a clean, dry glass container with a tight lid. Discard the curds at the bottom of the saucepan.
The ghee is burned if it has a nutty smell and is slightly brown.
1 pound of butter takes about 15 minutes of cooking time.
The more butter you are using, the more time it will take.
***Ghee can be kept on the kitchen shelf, jarred. The medicinal properties are said to improve with age!
So make big batches and store it for years to age! 100 year old ghee is said to cure many different ailments!
***Do not refrigerate! This will build up condensation in the jar and make your ghee moldy!
***Don’t ladle out the ghee with a wet spoon or allow any water to get into the container, as this will create conditions for bacteria to grow and spoil the ghee.
Cheers to your Health!